Sunday, December 9, 2007

The Joys of Full Coverage Insurance

Since I can remember, I've had extremely dry eyes. (hence the reason I wear glasses almost every day) But, we never had eye insurance growing up so I was limited to one check-up a year and glasses/contacts on a need-only basis. That also meant Costco or Lenscrafters eye doctors. Now, don't get me wrong--they do their job just fine, but every time I would complain about my dry eyes, they simply ignored it or gave me a quick fix solution. They were there to give me a prescription, not to help me out. Starting my new job meant free vision insurance and a real honest-to-goodness optometrist! On my first visit, I already could tell the difference--this guy actually cared about me! He took my dry eye symptoms seriously and came up with a series of tests to help get my problem fixed. Last visit, they tested my tear production. The average adult has a tear production of 10. I have a tear production of 1. It's all starting to make sense, I haven't been making this up. So the doctor inserted little plugs into my tear ducts to make my tears stay in my eyes longer instead of dissolving so quickly. Although I was pretty skeptical at first, it was absolutely painless and absolutely miraculous! I couldn't remember the last time I had taken my contacts out and not had my eyes hurt so bad that I had to immediately go to bed. Now, I'm dry-eye pain free! I LOVE it! So for all you dry-eye sufferers, ask your eye doctor for some plugs. They're amazing!

4 comments:

becca said...

but tears came out so easily...

haha. jk. kind of.

i love you.

Kylie Whiting said...

Sarah!!!! Oh my goodness. I have this same problem. I have had the plugs and the whole bit... but they haven't helped me. Dang. Well, I'm glad we share the same dry-eyeness. And i'm glad yours is fixed!

Alison said...

whoah! some new posts! I am glad you are back. and that your eyes feel better.

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.