Wednesday, January 6, 2010

NYR: Part 1

While among my list of New Year's Resolutions is to post my backlog of posts, and to post in a more timely fashion, I have a more real and pressing resolution to share with you all (and therefore make myself more accountable)

After reading several books, watching lots of propoganda and just plain old deep thought, Patrick and I have dubbed 2010 the "year of Veggies".

(This also stems from the fact that I'm the fattest I've ever been in my life and I'm kind of freaking out. Wait, I'm not 22 anymore?? How did this happen!)

So starting Jan 2nd (Jan 1st didn't count, we were on an airplane with nothing but chocolate to eat...) we've embarked on a new course of dining.

After two days, I'm so proud of myself for what I've eaten that I have to stop and remind myself that it's only been two days. And that means there are 363 days to go. (Then I get depressed, so I start thinking about the last two days and get happy again, haha)

So as part of my commitment to our new way of life (and my better blogging habits), I've decided to use this space as a food blog--documenting what I eat, how the new recipes turn out, and holding myself accountable for every mini-snickers I steal from the reception desk on 1 (even if I think the calories are canceled out in my walk down from 6).

As of Monday, I'm officially on my new, self proclaimed "better for me" diet, with the following rules:

-More Cooking at home
-No Processed Sugars (and little to no sugar of any kind)
-Low carb (Especially refined carbs and French Fries)
-Lower animal product consumption (Especially beef)
-High vegetable intake (including trying my best to like things I never before have liked, like tomatoes, mushrooms and olives)
-Increased fish consumption (including learning to like the fish I cook myself)
-Increased whole foods
-Less processed foods
-No cheeseburgers (booo)
-More water
-EXERCISE

Anyways, I'm sure there will be plenty of bumps in the road (cheeseburger sized bumps, most likely), and I don't think I can get Patrick to give up Pizza or PB&Js for lunch, but we're trying to improve.

**This post is not intended to be self righteous or demeaning in any way, and I apologize in advance if it is. I know everyone has their own beliefs on what is and is not the right way to eat, and I'm not judging. Just making myself accountable to my new choices**

8 comments:

becca said...

sounds great!! good luck!

Bekah said...

Way to go you two!! I think the best diets are those in moderation. Make sure you reward yourselves throughout the process to discourage "binge" fastfood eating. You two already look amazing, I can't wait to see your progression :-) Maybe i'll join!!

Morgan said...

I need to do this to lol. Bread and cheese are my demise. We'll see if 2010 will be my slim down year too.

Whitney said...

I wish you luck! As a health professional I say throw away the low carb goal and change to "I will eat whole grains". Carbohydrates are good! Vegetables and fruit have carbohydrates in them, of course they're the complex kind.

I would also say, set up even more specific goals and you'll be even more successful. For example, what specifically needs to happen for you to eat at home more or to eat fish more often?

For Patrick: modify the delicious PB&J so its a little healthier. Choose PB that is trans fat free and you can feel good knowing that PB has healthy fats that are good for your heart. Switch from jelly to fruit preserves to cut down on sugar. Wham-o. PB&J without the guilt.

I'm sure you didn't want this advice, but I can't help myself.

deveney said...

sounds awesome! chris and i have been changing our diet and i have been exercising more since october--so worth it, tring on and fitting into those small sizes feels great. good luck and keep us posted:)
ps-i second your friend about not limiting carbs too much, just changing the type that you are eating...after doing lots of reading/learning myself i think that carbs are important-they just get a bad rap.

Lindsay said...

hi there, good luck with your goals! I have similar ones! I find when I cut back on refined carbs my tummy gets a lot flatter! But I love them so much! I could eat homemade bread and butter all day long. I am going to try out quinoa soon. : )

Diana Hulme said...

good luck. :) we better not get together anymore in 2010, because obviously i'll encourage the french fries & cheeseburgers & bread & sugar & pot de creme, etc. haha - just kidding. but seriously - i hope you keep posting about it to motivate me too. i totally gained weight in nov & dec.

noelle regina said...

i gave up french fries in 2009 and truth be told i didn't really miss them ... and when i REALLY wanted them, i chopped up a potatoe tossed it with olive oil salt and pepper and then cooked it on a cookie sheet til it was crispy. oven fries are just as good!

i'm joining you in these resolutions.