Monday, July 18, 2011

Rising Star: Day 2

Volunteers are grouped into three groups. Mine and Patrick's group scorpion. We then rotate the groups each day between three different volunteer activities; education, construction and medical.

Our first official day our group was assigned education. Lex is currently the education coordinator (cool!) so it was fun to see him in charge and running the show.

Education is basically tutoring. We have 6 students that rotate every 40 minutes and we either help them with writing, reading or math.

Education is HARD for me. I am not a naturally patient nor child-loving person, so I struggle with this. It's also hard because the kids are learning a completely different language and alphabet (Tamil, their native language, has got to be the craziest thing I have ever seen/heard. Impossibly different from English).

The kids I tutor are a mixed bag. Most if them are not strong students and I hate that I get frustrated with them. But it's a wonderful feeling when they do start to understand how to sound out a word or do some math. I'm telling myself it's important practice.

We spent some time with the kids after dinner tonight, during family time, but I was so exhausted that I ended up fast asleep at 9pm.

No comments: