Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Rising Star: Day 4

Today our group was Medical. We went to a special needs school and a very small leprosy colony (only 3 people! Compared to about 50 or 70 in others)

The special needs school was quite the experience. There was such a range of needs - some kids were severely handicap and others were only slightly. It was sad to me because there was no distinction between the skill levels so I doubt that the kids were getting the help they individually need. It was also so sad because they were abandoned there by their parents.














The leprosy colony was stopped at was really just a house that three leprosy-afflicted people live in. We visited with the two women and man, who make a living working as a tailor and weaving baskets/purses. It was a brief stop, but valuable nonetheless. Rising Star has an amazing operation, and it's wonderful to see that they value all of those in need, even when it's so much work to set up the stations and equipment for just three people.








Heading back to rising star, I couldn't help but get emotional. The concern with social stigmas and caste system here is so hard for me. I can't imagine just abandoning a family member because they are disabled or because they are sick.

I am so grateful for the family I was born into. Every day I am here I just can't help wondering why I am so lucky and others are subjected to this insanely hard life. It's so heartbreaking and such an eye opening place to be.

I never imagined it would be this bad. That poverty could really be this horrendous. Driving through the cities and the outskirts of towns, you are bombarded with mountains and rivers and lakes of trash, mud and sewage. There are flies everywhere, people are wading barefoot through the filth and animals are munching on garbage.

Parts of the country are pretty, but most of it is rough. I'm loving being here, but it's not easy. I'm not in love with India the way I thought I'd be. Maybe I'm a wimp, but I can't help it...

1 comment:

Julie said...

Wow. What an unbelievable experience. You are definitely no wimp! If you were you wouldn't be there. I'm thinking about you guys and miss y'all!