Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Best. Meal. Ever.

I'm coming out of overwhelmed-with-life-induced hiding to share the following recipes. You're welcome.

Want to knock your lover's socks off? (Also, want to die from a saturated fat induced coma?) This steak recipe is seriously the BEST. I have made it with clearance Rib-eyes and NY Strips and those $5 steaks taste better than some I've spent $30+ on in a restaurant!

I've told a lot of you about this recipe before, so when I finally sat down to find it in a digital format, I thought it would behoove me to share it with y'all.

(While I'm at it, can I give a plug to Cooks Illustrated "Best Recipes" and "New Best Recipes" cookbooks? Even for a hack like me, every single thing I have made from these has turned out excellent. Their detail/description is exactly what I need to make me feel a teensy bit confident in my decisions. Buy these books and make this Steak ASAP!)

Anyways, enough of that. Here are the recipes (just copied and pasted from the website)! Serve it with killer mashed potatoes, green beans and THE BREAD (omg have you tried it?!?) and I'm telling you, you will die (literally. because if you added up how much butter I just told you to injest, you just might).

Cooks Illustrated Pan-seared steaks:

Why this recipe works:

For a pan-seared steak recipe with a full-bodied, complex steak sauce, we cooked the steaks in a high-quality, heavy pan, reducing the heat to prevent burning and moving the steaks only once. By adding a few extra ingredients to the traditional trio of wine or brandy, stock, and butter, we transformed canned stock into a luxurious, refined sauce for our meat.

To cook two steaks instead of four, use a 10-inch skillet and halve the sauce ingredient quantities. Pan sauces cook quickly, so prepare the ingredients before you begin cooking the steaks. Use a heavy skillet with a nonreactive cooking surface.

Ingredients

  • 4 boneless 8-ounce rib-eye steaks or top loin steaks, 1 to 1 1/4 inches thick, thoroughly dried with paper towels
  • Salt and ground black pepper

Instructions

  1. 1. Heat heavy-bottomed, 12-inch skillet over high heat until very hot, about 3 minutes. Meanwhile, season both sides of steaks with salt and pepper.

  2. 2. Lay steaks in pan, leaving 1/4-inch of space between each; reduce heat to medium-high, and cook without moving until well browned, about 4 minutes. Using tongs, flip steaks; cook 4 minutes more for rare, 5 minutes more for medium-rare, and 6 minutes more for medium. Transfer steaks to large plate and tent with foil to keep warm while preparing one of the related sauce recipes.

Shallot Butter Sauce
( I often sub out the shallots for onions, because they are easier to keep on hand, and I usually forget the Parsley because I don't keep it around the house).

Ingredients

  • 2 small shallots , minced (about 1/3 cup )
  • 4tablespoons unsalted butter , cut into 4 pieces
  • 1teaspoon fresh lemon juice from 1 lemon
  • 1teaspoon minced fresh parsley leaves

Instructions

  1. Follow recipe for Pan-Seared Steaks, transferring plate with steaks to 200-degree oven to keep warm. To same skillet used to cook steaks (do not clean skillet or discard accumulated fat), add shallots and cook over low heat until softened, about 1 minute. Turn heat to medium-low; stir in butter, scraping up browned bits on pan bottom with wooden spoon. When butter is just melted, stir in lemon juice and parsley; season to taste with salt and pepper. Spoon sauce over steaks and serve immediately.



3 comments:

B&K said...

Ummm... hello blog post! Hooray:-) I'm so excited you finally posted this recipe and I'm even more excited to try it out!

Diana Hulme said...

Yum! We don't ever make steaks for some reason but I totally want to try this recipe!!! And if you say it's good, I know it is! :) Yay...keep blogging! I miss you! And I want to see pics of your new place!

Klarissa said...

If only I could make steaks on Thanksgiving - this sounds amazing! How about I make you these steaks and you come over this weekend? Please? I will even throw in a lobster roll for you! We miss you!