Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Australia: Part 1

I've been dreading a post for a while now because I feel like I can't NOT post about our trip to Australia, but it's just overwhelming me. Anyways, maybe if I get this out of the way, I'll be back to my more regular (yet still sporadic) posting schedule?

Last October, Patrick and I joined my Dad on a fabulous trip to Australia. I've gotten close (New Zealand and Fiji) but never made it down under. I've been dreaming of going forever and was thrilled to finally get my chance!

I thought it was an incredible trip. I hope the boys agree. I still talk about moving there weekly--and if it were up to me, we'd have moved months ago. Patrick refuses though. Something about being too far away from our families. Obv he loves you all more than me because I can't stop thinking about it.

We started off our trip in Port Douglas (near Cairns) as we knew we HAD to dive at the Great Barrier Reef! Port Douglas was a darling little vacation town and way cuter than Cairns. So glad we decided to stay there instead!

While there, our main focus was diving the Great Barrier Reef (which was pretty incredible, although it was a bit rocky so the visibility wasn't as spectacular as we had hoped. And Daddy got a wee bit sea sick on the second day. Fiji still wins for best in my book)We also fit in a "nature tour" (which honestly was pretty disappointing. It had rained that day so most of the animals were in hiding, and the Platypus we were promised never showed. It was also really really long and by the time we got home we were all pretty exhausted and over it. Oh well! You win some, you lose some. Right?).
On our last day in Port Douglas, Patrick was boss. He wanted to go to a crocodile farm, which sounded a bit lame at first but we followed his lead. Turned out to be the highlight of the trip!! Go Patrick!

We got up close and personal with baby crocs. Literally.
*He was totally squirmy which was kind of terrifying.We even got to eat one! (Delish.)
We also got to pet a Wallaby!! He was soo cute! I want one.
Koalas only look cute. They're mostly lazy and have scary claws. I still want to hold one though.

Other highlights included learning to drive on the opposite side of the road

And eating (of course!). Gotta say, Port Douglas has got the right idea when it comes to breakfast. Ice Cream on Pancakes??! Patrick was in heaven! (Ok, so was I)
Also, Mocka's "World Famous" meat pies were pretty great too. We ate there at least twice.

And we couldn't leave without trying a true "Aussie" burger, complete with picked beetroot. Have to say, I think I prefer mine the American way.
I would happily go back to Port Douglas for another vacay any day. However, Sydney is where I left my heart. Sigh. What an INCREDIBLE city! Don't worry, I'll break up the posts a little so they aren't too daunting. Stay tuned for Sydney!

No comments: