Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Australia: Part 2

So if you think about it, our trip was kind of bizarre. Cairns and Sydney are totally not close to each other. It's kind of like going on a trip to the US and wanting to fit in California and Chicago in a week. But then again, the tickets were such a steal--and there was no way I wasn't hitting both cities, so that's the way it goes.

We didn't plan too many things to do while in Sydney--we wanted to just take time to wander the city and take it all in. Looking back, it might have been good to plan a little bit better because I think my dad got a little frustrated with my "free spirited" excursions. I think I learn a little more about how to plan a successful trip each time we go somewhere.

On our first day there, Daddy and I took a bus tour around the city to get an idea of what was what. We had a great time, especially when we got off by these gorgeous cliffs. The water was spectacular. Pictures do not do it justice. (At least crappy point and shoot pics don't).


We also stopped by the famed Sydney Fish Market. Holy cow, that place is incredible!! (Don't worry, we took Patrick back a second time).

Look at the size of that Pelican! I've never seen a bird that big in my life.

Also, Patrick better be glad he locked this gal down, because I found the love of my life while we were there. An Asian Australian selling lobsters. Swoon.
We had quite the fish feast. Including, but not limited to, jelly fish salad,
Ultimate fish platter,
and some fancy crab that everyone was so excited was at the market. I don't remember the name, but I do remember that it wasn't worth the effort. But crab often isn't (for me).
We also saw shark fins for sale, which I've never seen before. So sad.

The main attraction during our stay was the infamous bridge climb.
with these awesome jumpsuits.
Unfortunately, you can't bring your own camera up (if you were to drop even a bobby pin, it could prove catastrophic to the cars below) and the pics they sell you at the end were HORRIBLE (I was so ugly it was ridiculous) but to give you an idea, if you look really closely you can see some people at the top of the bridge in this pic.
We went at sunset, and I've got to say it was pretty incredible. Really a cool experience and I am so glad we were able to do it!

Another highlight of the trip was a backstage tour of the Sydney Opera House. Where I got to sit at a VERY famous piano.
But alas, once again, camera shots were restricted and the few I was allowed were only so-so. Good thing I took pictures in my mind! (weird.)

We also took the ferry to Manly beach, which was a fun way to spend a few hours.
Except there were tons of jelly fish on the shore! (And it was super windy so I didn't really get to tan. Boo.)

I think Patrick's favorite part of the trip (and the sole reason I have any chance of convincing him to move to Sydney) was going to Max Brennar's Chocolate Cafe. We went several times while in NYC and he is OBSESSED. So excited that there was one in Sydney. This time the obsession was the belgian waffle.

My dad and I prefer to eat more locally. For example, kangaroo.
All in all. A spectacular trip. Thank you Daddy!!! I love you!

No comments: