Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Idiot

I seriously have a problem. I buy food- good, quality, (expensive) food and then forget all about it and it goes to waste.

Namely vegetables and meat.

So, to combat this problem, I decided we'd just buy things the day we wanted to make them, to stop with the waste. (Also, because I can't figure out how to freeze meat and then defrost it and still have it taste ok)

But then pork tenderloin was on SUPER SALE at Safeway so I was like ohh, I'll just pick some up and for sure cook it in the next day or two...

I just remembered it's still in the fridge. Would have been cheaper to just buy it full price when I actually wanted to cook it, I think.

6 comments:

Kimberley said...

I totally understand this dilema! One trick is that if you freeze it the day you buy it then it will be fine- just don't wait four days and then decide to freeze it~

noelle regina said...

i do the same thing...
shopping and cooking for 2 is a whole new beast. (especially when surrounded by delicious restaurants)

are you in greece yet?

Carrie said...

I hate wasting food like this but I do it all the time. I go the extra step and put it in the freezer and then leave it there to die until I have to throw it out a year or two later to make room for something else that I'm probably not going to eat.

Hey, have you noticed that almost every blog post you have is about food? How are you still so skinny with all this eating you're doing? Or maybe you're too busy taking pictures and blogging about it to actually eat much...

Heather said...

Now that you say that Carrie-- every time I come on this blog, I do get hungry! Patrick has always been about juice boxes and pastries-- glad to see the tradition continue.

On another note-- that exact thing happens to us too, mostly with salads. It is frustrating.

Nat said...

Just make a menu. Decide what you're going to eat on what day and stick to it. I usually do this Sunday nights. That's really the only way I can make sure things don't go to waste. It just make me so sad to have to throw things away. Especially things that were once delicious...

noelle regina said...

I'm assuming the lack of update means you are in fact, IN GREECE!