Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Not another Shopping Post!


Don't worry, it really isn't another shopping post.

Technically, it's not really a food post either, it's a camping post. But food was the reason we camped.

So basically my life only revolves around food and shopping. Are you surprised?

Three weeks ago, we met up with the SLC Besties (minus Laura who bailed last minute in order to find a job. psh.) on the NorCal coast for a little Abalone diving.

In case you didn't know, Patrick and I are chickens. So we didn't dive. But we DID camp (one whole night) and I got totally sunburnt.

AND...I ATE RAW(still living!!!!) ABALONE. See? Here's proof. I'm totally tough. (so so nasty)
My new best friend Eric wins for best photo of the weekend. Agree? (And yes, that's an Old Milwaukee next to him. I did not partake but was told it was DEESSGUSTING)

We had an incredible time (minus getting pulled over for having 10 people in the back of a pick-up and slicing up my fingers while cleaning the $500 beasts)

For those of you who are wondering what Abalone is, Klarissa claims it's a sea slug. But if you've ever been to a fancy restaurant and seen it on the menu for upwards of $100 an entree (I have) you know it's no ordinary sea slug.

Luckily for us, we did not have to pay $100 a person to eat this delicacy. But we did have to work dang hard to clean it, slice it, pound it, and fry it.

Was it worth it? Umm yeah! I was so excited to finally try this thing I've been hearing about my whole life. To be completely honest, I think I'd prefer it if it was prepared for me at a resaurant (aka in slightly more sanitary conditions) but I'd do it again for sure.

Oh yes, and we went on a hike through Fern Gully.


Don't worry, Patrick's just faking it.


Thanks DeMaso clan for the invite!!

4 comments:

Ms. Thomas said...

i feel jealous.

becca said...

not another shopping post!! way to go! haha. just want you to know that i love any blogging by you even if it is about shopping instead of african babies.

when do you leave for greece? i'm jealous jealous.

way to go on eating the abalone. i don't think i could have done it.

Brooke Wilkins said...

I am soooooo jealous you got to go on this trip! I have heard about this amazing amazing experience and never have gotten the chance! super jealous! Can't wait to see pics of your trip!

Heather said...

What an awesome trip! I can't believe you ate that live abalone though. It looks so disgusting!